Dark & Light
- Population: 12,000. Hammerfast’s population consist’s mostly of dwarves.
- Government: Three guilds – the trade guild, the lore guild, and the craft guild – rule Hammerfast. Each guild has two representatives on the city council, which elects the mayor. The current mayor is Marsinda Goldspinner, a representative of the trade guild.
- Defense: A full-time force of about 200 warriors defends the city, manning thick, stones walls and a number of towers equipped with catapults and ballistae. In addition, outsiders are allowed only in the Gate Ward. The rest of the city is accessible only with permission of the town guard.
- Inns: The Arcane Star provides high quality but expensive accommodations. Rondal’s Inn offers a cheaper though shabbier, alternative.
- Taverns: The Foundation Stone is the most popular tavern for travelers in town. It offers cheap food and drink, along with entertainment such as knife throwing tournaments and a popular local game called giant’s feet.
- Supplies: An open air market in Hammerfast’s Gate Ward offers a wide variety of goods, though it is difficult to predict which caravans are in town at any given time. Boltac’s Goods is a more reliable source of adventuring gear, but its owner is renowned for his greed.
- Temples: The temple of Moradin, with the pool of fire that burns before it, is an important center of faith in the Nentir Vale. The priests craft items at the Forge of Life all day and night. Hammerfast also has temples to Ioun and Pelor. However, all three temples are in the city’s inner wards, rather than the open Gate Ward.
Hammerfast is a busy place, as merchants and travelers from the Nentir Vale and beyond congregate here. In the early spring after the snows melt and in the fall after the harvest, the streets are choked with caravan wagons, pack mules, and travelers. A band of a hundred mercenary warriors en route to a paymaster might clog the streets one day, and a winding caravan of priceless treasures from the unknown east could bring traffic to a halt the next.